Thursday, November 8, 2007

Part 2.1

He found that he really had a lot to say to her, but the conversation was pretty one sided.

- I can't believe you really shot me.

Not even a blink from her.

-I know I wasn't the perfect man. I know I treated you badly. I even deserved to die, but still... You look so pure and innocent right now. It's hard to see you like this. This new light you're in is too much for me. I guess I'll be seeing a lot of things in a new light.

She not only failed to respond, she scratched the inside of her thigh in a disconcertingly private fashion. Rudy knew she couldn't sense him. He was extant only to himself, which was unfortunate in so many ways.

Rudy saw the bicycle taxi a long time before Brenda did. With a great deal of effort he managed to get his spectral form up above the accident. The bird's eye view did him no favors. The way Brenda tore out of the windscreen was disturbing for everyone, but it was particularly awful from Rudy's perspective.

Brenda split into two parts, he bod and her other form. She was present for just long enough to blurt out - I killed you! How are you... OH!

And she was gone.

The bicycle taxi driver stuck around for a moment longer. He looked at his shattered cab and corpse.

- F#ck man! I just paid that shit off! I was finally going to make some money. Dammit! That sucks. I was totally not ready for another incarnation yet.

And then he started to shrink and grow younger looking. His features changed and in a child's voice: - I f#cking HATE the birth canal!

And he was gone.

Rudy's attention was absorbed by this display. He completely failed to notice the man dressed like an investment banker who was walking swiftly away, holding the bulging case of cash. He failed to notice for about 10 feet.

No comments: