Sunday, January 4, 2009

Disney Character Motivation Dissection



I have been taking issue with the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast. What's the deal with Gaston's character motivation? I am really not clear. Why is he interested in Belle? I can't suss it out. He's got these three bolonde girls who are swooning for him and dressed like trollops. They all have the exact same body and face as Belle, so other than that he digs brunettes, what is the difference? Belle is bookish, snobbish, dislikes him, has no money. Her Father is crazy... I am not understanding. The best that anyone can explain it to me so far is that he wants her because he can't have her. But that is like saying that I can't have a sperm whale as a pet. Why is it an issue? I don't get it. And without some motivation for him wanting Belle the whole story falls apart. Everything he does revolves around him wanting to marry Belle, but I can't conceive of a reason he'd WANT to marry Belle. I can see that he'd want to have sex with Belle, I guess that makes sense, she's good looking, he's a hunter... But even that is pretty specious reasoning. I think that he'd settle down with one of the three blondes, while throwing the other two a bone from time to time, get fat and pump out some disturbingly chinned children. The whole movie falls apart for me on this point. Thoughts?

4 comments:

rapitrone said...

That's how all jocks are, right? They just want to marry all the hot nerdy girls. That's how it was when I was at Chardon High. All the big jock guys were constantly throwing wedding wings at the nerdy girls.

Kate Pitrone said...

He's a bad guy and an egotistical bad guy of the hunter/gatherer ethic that the Disney writers deplored in that era. How could you have that great song about him and his hunting trophies as decoration if he was not that kind of bad guy? The idea of him as collector and destroyer of the lovely is part of his evil, too. Yes, the girl as hard-to-get and therefore desirable was part of the matter. It has been a long time, but don't I recall a line that went something like, "She's the best right? And I deserve the best, right?" said to some nodding minion. Good enough.

Don Tomaso said...

It's a simple misunderstanding. Gaston thinks "Bell" is short for Bellum. He thinks she is not only beautiful but war-like. He figures this will give his offspring an advantage in the world. It's that simple.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you lay off Belle for assuming that she's snobbish?! She's my favorite character in that movie because of she has qualities that make me relate to her.

It's Gaston who's snobbish because he looked down on her for being different like how jocks look down on nerds.

The reasons that damn hunter wanted that brunette for himself are these:

1. He thought that just because she was the best-looking gal in his town, she should marry the best-looking guy in town.

2. He thought that she should be his slave just because she's female and he's male.

If you ask me, Gaston's extremely prejudiced against anyone who doesn't fit his standards and ideals. Hell, he's shallow, bratty, and closed-minded enough to declare war on anyone who he hates.

If you ask me, I have really good reason to hate Gaston because for these reasons:

1. He hates nerds and geeks.

2. He judges unfairly people based on sex and appearance.

3. He's too macho and egotistic.

4. He's too narrow-minded to accept anybody who differs from him.

5. He thinks that he can get away with whatever he wants just because he let his ego get to him.

6. He can't accept those who aren't like him.

7. He threatened to have Maurice thrown in an asylum unless Belle agreed to marry him.

8. He stalked the heroine of the film and set up a wedding without her permission.

9. He barged into her home without invitation.

One other thing is that I dealt with people who are like Gaston . In fact, I'm related to one of them.

Tell me, do you want to be that villain's slave for life? If so and you suffer the consequences for it, then don't blame me.