Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sunshine

I know, I'm one of the last ones in America to see/comment on this, but I really liked it. On the other hand, it should be noted, I liked Event Horizon, too. (Actually, the only person I know who liked Event Horizon more than I did was my friend Adam Peterson, who liked it to a frightening degree. We rented it on a Sunday night and he watched it 19 times before it had to go back on Tuesday. Needless to say, I heard a LOT about it that week. Which reminds me of a Steven Wright joke about taking a two month road-trip across the US with only one tape in the car. He couldn't remember what tape it was.)

At any rate, Good movie. I thought that the choices made were good ones. I liked the pressure build-up. I thought that the subliminal things were cool, but I have a soft-spot for subliminals. They get me somewhere in my unconscious... Rimshot!

Anyways, I thought that the decision not to show Earth to the end was good. It is nowhere near as good as Alex Garland's book The Beach, which everyone on Earth should read before the sun DOES burn out. But the whole thing made me think that there'd be a good story idea in that the sun is actually Hell and that the reason it is burning so much hotter/global warming and whatnot, is that more people are going there now that there is no morality. Maybe Kirk Cameron and company could do it as a Left Behind spin-off kind of thing?

As alway, really like Danny Boyle's choices and his visuals are nothing less than stunning. The first shot of the spaceship should be taken as a primer for all future sci-fi directors, just like Lucas's was in the first shot of Star Wars. Same idea, fantastic execution.

And the cast was good as well, I love Jane Fonda's son, who's name is something like Garrity, Jay Garrity? I can't remember and I can't be bothered to look it up. Someone else look it up and tell me if I'm wrong. All around, really solid, really scary in a couple parts. I'd have preferred if the whacked out spiritual craziness had been more... well, more whacked out, but like I said, I liked Event Horizon.

(Though tell me that if the guy in the observation room had had wings, scary-@ss, demon wings, it wouldn't have made you sqeal with terrified delight.)

Check it out, if I am not the last American to have done so.

3 comments:

Azathoth100 said...

Actually, I've never heard of the movie, but now that I've seen your description I'll take a look at my local movie rental. I liked Event Horizon as well (your not alone) and if this puts me in mind of that than it'll be worth the 4 bucks.

The Sun as Hell eh? Sounds like a good one to me too.

rapitrone said...

I liked Event Horizon too, and have subjected several of my friends to it. I think it really freaked Niel S. out. I also havent seen Sunshine, though I have read a good bit about it, and I want too.

rapitrone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.