Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Don't Touch Ma Eyes!

So, in spite of all my bragging and na-na-ing, I am NOT going to get eye surgery. It turns out that I have some strange and very rare condition where my actual vision is improving, but I am getting a worse astigmatism. It's really rare, but I guess it happens and since my prescription has changed one whole unit (?) in 6 months, they are reluctant to give me the surgery. Also, my corneas are too shallow.

I am pretty disappointed, of course, but what can one do? I am going to have to work now on 5 days that I REALLY wanted off. The Clinic here is becoming unsupportable. What I could once pass off as an irritation on the way to a goal is now... well, I mean, I'm leaving, whatever the goal is will have to be reached without me, so the irritations are now someone else's problem, and I wish they'd get them out of my way.

When I first moved back to Chardon I had to come to a new conclusion about the world. I found life there really irritating and rotten. It wasn't where I wanted to be, living with Grandma Pitrone, while wonderful in a lot of respects, really opens one up to a lot of flack from family. There were some definite downsides. So I struggled with it and came to this conclusion, "Inconvenient is not necessarily bad."

It's not an easy place to get to, but it's true and it's important to remember sometimes. Life can be pretty inconvenient and if you remember that that's not really a bad thing, then it can make the hard times better. I am re-learning that lesson, I guess. You'd think that being in the armed forces would teach that right away, but there are lulls in the difficulty of Navy life.

Tonight, the wife and I go to be EARLY. 10 hours of sleep in 72 is too little. Even if we DID sleep all day Monday.

No comments: