Monday, September 10, 2007

A Weekend of Sleeping

What a great weekend! I think that Margaret and I slept for about 80-85% of it, and it was wonderful! Friday night we worked at the restaurant, which was a pleasant experience for a change. One of my tables asked advice as to whether they should just pack up, that minute, and go to Vegas, which I strongly encouraged them to do, and then I sent every single server I could find over to their table (22, for those who know the numbering system) to encourage them as well. Then they found out that tickets to go that night were $700 per person, so the y got a slice of key lime pie, instead. (Almost as good as Vegas!)

Saturday we slept all day, we watched a couple of movies, I think, but nothing is jumping out to my mind... Annie Hall? Something else? I can't remember, but it seems like we watched something else. OH, we watch Deathproof again. Wow, that's such a great movie and I forgot about it, I can't believe it.

So, Quentin Tarantino's Deathproof, the one that was the opposite bookend to the fantastically brilliant Grindhouse mess, is pure cinema. Man, that Tarantino can direct! Maybe I should give some background here. I am an old-school Tarantino apologist. I first saw Pulp Fiction on a double bill at a midnight movie with True Romance and I was hooked, completely, totally hooked. I ran right out and bought Reservoir Dogs, which also blew me away, and then when Jackie Brown came out I was in line at the theatre on Christmas night, just waiting to have my mind blown by a genius. And sure enough, he did it again. Kill Bill, same thing, both times. The crunching the eyeball scene in Pt II, it still gives me chills to think of it.

So I was pretty primed for Quentin to wow me, and he sure enough did. Editing, soundtrack, shot after shot of perfection! The way he re-creates Kurt Russell's bad-@ss personality, just awesome. The whole thing, fantastic.

Yesterday, on my way to work, I listened again to the soundtrack, and it was just as great as I remembered it being. There are some truly stand-out songs on there, but then I realized that they ALL are stand-out songs. Too good to be true! (And it has a great voice-over scene where it shows Eli Roth as the villainous, misogynist jerk that I always suspected he was.)

Saturday night we went to dinner at the always wonderful, and famous for being the location of our fateful first date, Bacchus of Lebanon. You can all ask Dominic about the chicken there, which is rocking, but we had some great appetizers, the notable one being the chicken Shawarma, and the tomato/feta salad, which I love.

While we were there we overheard these two couples of Indian descent talking about how much they like Osama bin Laden, which kind of coloured the rest of the evening. It's hard to feel totally comfortable with that. There was talk of how the girls found him attractive and how they all liked what he'd "done to the US." Really kind of creepy. But then Margaret suggested that maybe it was a DIFFERENT Osama bin Laden, and we felt better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think they were talking about another bin Laden as well. I think they liked what he had done "to us" not the U.S. That would make more sense to me. Anyway, if they weren't you could not have done anything to them that would be as harsh as they deserved without getting permanently kicked out of the restaurant of your fir. A kind of moral dilemma.